Sources, related links:
Amsterdam's Best Spots
The city of Amsterdam is a wonderful destination for a city break, with this unique urban center offering a diverse range of attractions and entertainments that is sure to have something to suit everyone. Amsterdam city breaks offer a chance to explore the history and culture of the Netherlands in an attractive and enticing setting. Whether you are visiting Amsterdam with friends, family or a loved one, there are sights and experiences on offer that will entertain and entrance.
Amsterdam for Families
If you are going on a city break as a family, Amsterdam has heaps of attractions to keep little ones amused, and the parents might enjoy them as well! Top choices for family entertainment in Amsterdam include:
- Science Museum NEMO: Sitting right in the heart of the city next to the Central Station is this impressive building, housing exhibits that offer hours of fun for families. The hands-on and interactive style of the science show is exciting, engaging and educational.
- Amstelpark Petting Zoo: A great choice for young kids, the petting zoo in the park offers a chance to get up close and personal with some really cute creatures. Parents be warned; you may have trouble dragging them away.
- Amsterdam Dungeon: Bigger kids might enjoy the frights on offer at this ghoulish attraction in the Dam district of the city. Recommended age limit from 10 and up. Exhibits include the plague, witch and Spanish inquisition themed tableaus.
Amsterdam for Couples
A romantic getaway to Amsterdam offers a wonderful opportunity to share some intimate moments with your partner. Some things that couples may wish to try when in town are:
- Canal Boat Cruise: See the city in style from a canal boat cruise, or even enjoy a private dinner charter, a deux, for that special occasion. Soak up the sights from this unique perspective and float away together on a magical mystery tour.
- Bloemenmarkt: The city’s famous flower market is nothing, if not romantic. Enjoy the amazing colors of one of the country’s most famous exports and choose the most beautiful bouquet to express your affection.
Amsterdam for Friends
Groups of friends have long seen Amsterdam as a great choice of destination. With its world renowned cafe culture, as well as many opportunities to explore exciting art and architecture, groups taking a break in this city are truly spoiled for choice. Some attractions that groups may wish to take in during their time in Amsterdam include:
- The Anne Frank House: The hidden home of holocaust diarist Anne Frank offers a window into Europe’s upsetting past, and an insight into the strength of the human spirit.
- House of Bols Cocktail Experience: The home of the city’s famous spirit and the oldest distilled drink in the world invites visitors in to learn about the art of mixology and make a cocktail or two, tailored to their own tastes.
- Van Gogh Museum: More than 800 original works from the world renowned Dutch master are housed in Amsterdam, offering a super slice of culture for visitors to the city.