Griboyedov Canal was constructed in 1739. It starts from the Moyka River and flows into the Fontanka River. Its length is 5 km, with a width of 32 m. Before 1923 it was called Catherine Canal, after the empress Catherine the Great, during whose rule it was deepened. The Communist authorities renamed it after the Russian playwright and diplomat Alexandr Griboyedov, who lived on the bank of the canal. There are 21 bridges across the canal, Bank Bridge is one of them.